How to Download, Unzip Files and Install
To download a file and install the program, follow these steps:
- Click on one of the download links on the download page.
- With most browsers, you will see a window pop up asking you if you want to "open" or "save" the file.
- Your browser should then ask you what folder you want to save the file in.
Usually it will default to whatever folder you last saved a file in.
It is a good idea to create a special folder (called C:\downloads, for example) where you save downloaded files, or use Desktop.
Then you will always know where they are.
When this window appears you should also make a note of the filename of the file - you will need to know that to find it later.
- Your browser will then begin downloading the file.
How long this takes depends on the size of the file, the speed of your modem, and the level of internet traffic on the server and the internet.
- When the file is done downloading, close your browser and sign off your ISP.
Start Windows Explorer and go to the folder where you saved the file.
- Double-click on the name of the file.
- If the file is a .ZIP file: .ZIP files must be unzipped before they can be used.
To unzip a .ZIP file, you need an unzipping program.
There are many unzipping programs, but the best is PowerArchiver.
After you download and install an unzipping program, double clicking on a .zip file in Windows Explorer will start your unzipping program.
Most unzipping programs can unzip files and immediately run a setup program that may be inside the .ZIP file.
See your unzipping program's documentation for how to do this.
- If the file is an .exe file or after you unzip the file:
If the downloaded file is a .EXE file, all you need to do is double click on it in Windows Explorer and the installation program will run.
If the file is a .ZIP file, there should be a .EXE file inside of it.
Once you unzip the file, you simply run the .EXE file (which is usually called setup.exe).
- After the install program runs, you should be able to run the program by clicking on the start button, Programs, then find the program in the list.